The City of Tucson is Arizona’s second largest city and is home to a warm and vibrant community. The City is a progressive, dynamic, full-service municipal organization with fifteen departments and over 4,600 employees. The organization’s vision is to be the destination for sustainable living, growth, and opportunities by prioritizing excellent customer service, a stable financial environment, and an employee-focused organization. The organization’s values are collaboration, integrity, excellence, and respect. Join the City as we work to deliver exceptional service to the people of Tucson.
Introducing the Tucson Fellowship, a management internship program designed for an MPA or MPP student pursuing a career in local government. The intern will work in the City Manager's Office (CMO) at City Hall during normal business hours, with flexibility to accommodate the intern's class schedule.
The anticipated start date of the management internship is August 9, 2021.
Example of Duties and Tasks:
The Management Intern will work as a member of City staff and work closely with the Deputy City Manager, Assistant City Managers, department heads, and CMO staff on a variety of administrative tasks. The Intern will participate in rotations throughout City departments and gain broad experiences across the organization. Examples of tasks include, but are not limited to:
- Research for special projects and basic data analysis
- Review of and response to requests and inquiries from City residents and the general public
- Attendance at special events, as appropriate
- Participation in meetings of the City Manager's Office
- Special projects, as assigned
Tucson Fellows receive the knowledge, training, and necessary experience to become future city/county managers in local government.
Paid Management Internship Position
In their second year, Tucson Fellows enjoy the prestige associated with working as a paid management intern for the City of Tucson (earning 6 credit hours for internship, to apply towards degree completion).
Compensation at $15/hour for 20 hours/week for 1 year.
Arizona City/County Management Association Sponsorship.
- All applicants must be in their 2nd year as a Master of Public Administration or Master of Public Policy student.
- All applicants must be in good academic standing with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- Students pursuing an AMP are eligible to apply to the Tucson Fellowship program.
- Applicants should possess a strong interest in local government.
Starting Fall 2021, one 2nd-year student will be selected each fall semester as the Management Intern for the City of Tucson based on a competitive application review process.
Applicants must apply via Handshake.
The application for the Tucson Fellowship is closed.